Obagi Blue is a chemical skin peel that removes and exfoliates the top layers of the skin, revealing brighter, smoother skin underneath.
What skin conditions can an Obagi Blue Peel® help treat?
The treatment can help with:
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Skin pigmentation problems
- Superficial acne scarring
- Large pores and comedones (white-heads)
- Solar keratoses and sun damage
- Skin laxity (looseness and sagging) and uneven texture
What happens during an Obagi Blue Peel® treatment?
In preparation for your first Obagi Blue Peel® it is necessary to use the Obagi Nu-Derm course for at least 6 weeks. This is a cosmetic application that stimulates colagen production and increases the elasticity of the skin.
The Obagi Blue Peel® itself starts with your skin being thoroughly cleansed by Richard our Aesthetic Medical Facial & Body Practitioner.
A mild analgesic (paracetamol / ibuprofen) is prescribed.
The Blue Peel solution is then applied to the whole of the face area while a cooling jet of air helps to ease any initial discomfort. The application takes between 30 - 60 minutes.
The blue colour will persist on skin until the peeling is complete. Peeling begins at day 2-3 and completes by day 10-14. Results are noticeable by 6 weeks.
Aftercare advice for your Obagi Blue Peel®
- Allow skin to peel naturally - DO NOT pick or pull skin fragments
- Apply Obagi Action or Comfort Gel to tight, dry or itchy skin
- Try cold compress for swelling and inflammation
- Simple analgesia is recommended initially
- Make up may be applied to new skin after 7 days
- Avoid sun exposure without SPF > 35 for at least 6 weeks
- Resume Obagi Nu-Derm maintenance once peeling complete
Possible side effects with Obagi Blue Peel®
- Redness and swelling are COMMON
- Skin infections are LESS COMMON and easily treated with antibiotics
- Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation is RARE - treatable with Hydroquinone cream
- Scarring is VERY RARE
Video showing the stages of an Obagi Blue Peel®
The process of the transition of the skin for before and after the 20% blue peel over a 2 week period can be seen here -